Skip to main content

Manmohan Singh - A weak but an honest PM.

Many would call him the weakest Prime Minister India has ever had and a lot more will blame his famous silence as the cause of UPA's defeat this general election. Having resigned from the position on 17th May 2014, Dr. Manmohan Singh was one of the longest serving PM of the nation. He has described his tenure in office as an 'Open book'. So, let's go through some of the chapters, shall we?
I am an honest man


In 2004, when the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) came to power, its chairperson Sonia Gandhi under pressure from the Opposition had to relinquish the top position to Manmohan Singh. In a book written by Sanjaya Baru, the Media Advisor to Dr. Manmohan Singh during UPA-1, he stated "why Sonia Gandhi chose Dr Singh to be the Prime Minister, his answer is simple: “she needed to bury the controversy over her Italian birth and retain control of the Congress Party till her son or daughter was old enough to take charge. She required, therefore, a reliable, trustworthy and capable head of government".

Remove the weak PM. 
Manmohan Singh has often being called a puppet in hands of Gandhi family by the Opposition (Now in power of course). He was labelled as a weak administrator who has no control over the nation's affairs. The constant interference of the Congress President Sonia Gandhi and its Vice President Rahul Gandhi in decision-making only made it worse for him. His political opponent, L K Advani had asserted, "He is weak. What do I call a person who can't take his decisions until 10 Janpath gives instruction". His public image suffered a major blow when Time Magazine's Asia edition on its cover remarked that he is 'An Underachiever'. 

However, Singh was not just the above mentioned things. Dr. Manmohan Singh was acclaimed as a thinker and a scholar. He is well regarded for his diligence and his academic approach to work. In 2010, Newsweek magazine recognized him as a world leader who is respected by other heads of state, describing him as "the leader other leaders love".

I have nothing to say
During his first term in office, he executed several key legislation and projects, including the Rural Health Mission, Unique Identification Authority, Rural Employment Guarantee scheme and Right to Information Act. In 2008, opposition to a historic civil nuclear agreement with the United States nearly caused Singh's government to fall after Left Front parties withdrew their support. Dr. Singh stood firm on his stand. India was on the right track in his first term. Nation's economy grew rapidly under UPA I.

The 2009 general election saw the UPA return with an increased mandate, with Singh retaining the office of Prime Minister. However, Dr. Singh's second term was a total disaster. His simplicity was taken for granted. His authority was questioned and the government was also accused of various scams and corrupt practices. The Opposition continued to press high and demanded his resignation for his alleged role in the Indian Coal block allocation scam. His failure to contain his own party leaders was another reason for his weak image. 

I am Rahul Gandhi I can do anything
The infamous tearing up of the ordinance, which sought to protect the convicted MPs and MLAs in a press conference by Rahul Gandhi added insult to injury and left Manmohan Singh in an embarrassing position while he was away in US. 'Rahul baba' called the Ordinance a 'complete nonsense' and other leaders followed his suit. Since then Dr. Singh was seen as accepting his role as a seat warmer for the Congress Vice President.

I consider Dr.Manmohan Singh as a good person, a brilliant economist but I do not see him as a good leader. His silence on certain issues were uncalled for. Perhaps, he reconciled himself too readily to a situation where he would be in office while the real authority lay elsewhere. Nonetheless, his work for the nation will always be remembered. He may well be the only honest man in the office during his tenure.

Comments

  1. Very well drafted Joy.. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an ardent critic of u! But this one deserves an applaud..
    Good work..
    Will nt argue with u on this one. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Finally we agree on something ;) . And your opinion is highly appreciated as always.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A writer, according to my ID card

I thought studying journalism would make me an accomplished writer. I also thought life would become easier once I got a job. In my defence, I had not yet had a job. After a nine-month course, I joined an organisation that shall remain unnamed. I spent six months as an intern, a period that mostly involved getting my backside kicked, before becoming a permanent employee. According to my ID card, I am a scriptwriter. The accomplished part is taking longer. Somewhere between joining the office and becoming permanent, my days began to look suspiciously alike. I go to work, come home tired and think about doing something interesting. By then, a nap feels more appealing than anything I had in mind. I want to write something of my own. But when I sit down to choose a subject, everything either seems uninteresting or too much effort. This is an awkward position for someone who thought writing would be the great pleasure of his life. There are plenty of things I don’t want to do. Going to the...

Interaction with the divine

My father has always been a man of faith. Prayer is a part of his daily life, and he takes an active role in church activities. Growing up in a Christian household, I saw how much his belief meant to him. I did not share the same certainty. After graduation, I moved to Delhi to study journalism and later began working. Away from home, I had more room to decide what faith meant to me. I was not a regular churchgoer. I believed God could be found anywhere, and I did not feel the need to prove my belief to anyone. Yet I often found myself praying when I was in trouble. That made me question my own relationship with God. Why did I turn to Him most readily when I needed help? Was it faith, fear or simply the comfort of feeling that someone was listening? I did not have a clear answer, but I could not dismiss what prayer meant to me. There is something comforting about sharing your deepest fears and secrets with someone you cannot see. Saying those things in prayer sometimes helped me under...

BJP'S CHANAKYA - AMIT SHAH

A true admirer of Chanakya's tactics, BJP's general secretary Amit Shah has now established himself a prominent player in the saffron party politics. Under his supervision, BJP won with an overwhelming majority in Uttar Pradesh, bagging 71 seats in the state, leaving other major players biting the dust.   The victory in UP was nothing short of a miracle. The state’s politics driven by caste was mostly dominated by regional outfits - Samajwadi Party (SP) and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP). Therefore, ousting these two political heavyweights in their own game deserves commendation. Shah’s grasp in ground level politics and his relentless work in the remote areas of the state swung votes in BJP’s favour. He made most out of Narendra Modi’s wave and ensured that people gave his party a chance to bring change in the state.   From being a state-level leader, Shah has now emerged as the second most important man in the BJP. He calls the shots in current scheme of thing. Ruthles...